Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Protests...foder for election entertainment.

As time leads up to the start of the debate I scouted out the campus with a video camera in hand to get some video. While shooting video of the buildings and media reporting, I heard voices traveling across the Saint Anselm College campus towards me. The noise was getting louder and louder so I decided to see for myself what was going on. About 100 meters away from the Sullivan Arena entrance I saw a massive crowd of protesters chanting.

"Rudy, Rudy, Rudy," people screamed as I approached the crowd. Every republican candidate was well represented by supporters of their campaign. Signs for Mitt Romney attached to poles were raised high. I took the ENG camera I had in hand and began filming, "We're not just the internet" was chanted from one end of the crowd that stood behind yellow police tape. At the other end of the crowd people cried out "Stop the war now!" Organization for many different types of nationwide issues were there to make their mark, people supporting education, healthcare and immigration reform had gathered with their signs.

These people here didn't just want to be seen, they wanted to be heard and as audience members attending tonight's event walked by, they took notice.

No comments: