Saturday, December 8, 2007

A journalist reflects on the Primary cycle, Media Coverage, and New Hampshire

On a drive from the southwest corner of New Hampshire to the southwest corner of Maine; I was amazed at some of the sites. Aside from the beautiful scenery with the snow covered mountains, iced over ponds and lakes, and snow covered trees.

As we cruise down some back roads thinking about New Hampshire, its political culture, its history and the upcoming presidential primary.

"I wonder... I must be traveling the same roads as some of these presidential candidates along the same routes they use to head to North Country." The thought of the Granite state possibly being the most influential state in the country this presidential cycle is a joy to think.

I drove by signs upon signs, some stuck in the ground, some on billboards, and even some attached to pick up trucks like you see in movies. I passed an Obama campaign office, and Then it started to snow. It was truly like the scene out of a movie. Driving through these quaint towns with snow falling adding to the previous snowfall that already existed. I saw signs reading "North Country for John Edwards," signs for Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama. The sign I saw the most -Ron Paul!

Now I am a journalist, but it seems to me that Ron Paul is well liked by the people of New Hampshire but not covered by the mainstream media nearly as frequently as the "top tier candidates." Why is this? Is it because he is older than the Rock star or because he isn't a women running for president.

It is important to remember that each candidate could be president and each should be given the same platform. Look at Mike Huckabee he took the time and visited the small locations in the middle of the woods, visited the small house parties, and he is now right on top in Iowa and is surging forward in New Hampshire. The grassroot campaining obviously worked for the Arkansas Governor.

By focusing on the top tier candidates, and focusing on money I again stress the point that this does a dis-justice to our country, and to the people that truly care.

3 comments:

steppo said...

Now, come on! You must be joking... the name "Ron Paul" is anathema to both the military corporations and the AIPAC gangs who run the media.. Paul wants to get out of Iraq NOW? Wants to stop sending billions to Israel NOW? Hey, still looking for more reasons why he is a "non-person"? Check them out with the "On to Iran!" gang, any of those in favor of sinking more American blood and gold into the Middle East religious cesspool. But I don't believe you are so "Nieve" as you let on.

Fitzwater Connections said...

Steppo...

I want you to realize, I am a journalist, I have been working for radio stations for a number of years. I have a strong understanding of credibility, and ethics. Your right I may not be Naive, I have been in the industry for a few years. However, journalists are always learning and that is where the term Naive was pulled from, I haven't come across every experience, or covered every story.

First. I do not align my self with one candidate or a party. My job is to present fair and straight forward news. This would not be possible if I was associating myself with one candidate or party.


Second. My comments were not intended to say who the best candidate for the job is. I never mentioned issues in this at all.

I am simply addressing the fact that to me it seems that Mr. Paul does not receive equal treatment in the media just like Kucinich, Gravel, and Tancredo. Compare the coverage to the likes if Clinton and Obama. Last I checked all are running for the same office.

Everyone should play on a flat, respectful, and even field.

steppo said...

Sorry, didn't mean to offend! I agree fully with you that "Everyone should play on a flat, respectful, and even field". I simply meant to suggest why I think that the field is tilted against Ron Paul.